Chorus master (F/M)
The Opera de Lyon is an internationally acclaimed institution, known for its high level of artistry and its imaginative, bold avant-garde productions.
The Chorus of the Opera de Lyon has 34 permanent full-time members and is frequently enlarged for big choral works requiring larger numbers of singers, such as operas by Wagner or Verdi.
The “home base” of the chorus is the opera house in Lyon. Aside from performing in operas, the chorus frequently sings in concerts, ranging from large symphonic formats to a capella and chamber music programs. The chorus also each season participates in touring projects of the Opera de Lyon, for example to the Théâtre du Châtelet or the Theatre des Champs Elysées in Paris, the Festival of Aix-en-Provence, but also to the Edinburgh or Athens festivals.
The Chorus of the Opera de Lyon has recorded many of their performances, both on CD and DVD, directed by the most renown conductors, and has played a major role in the international success of the Opera de Lyon which has received international awards such as “Best Opera Company” (2017) from the British press and Opera magazine (London) and ”Opernhaus der Jahres” (2017) by Opernwelt, the German opera magazine.
We are looking for a strong team player with leadership qualities and integrity to join the Opéra de Lyon staff as Chorus master.
As the musical and artistic leader of the chorus, the Chorus Master is working closely together with the artistic team around the Principal Conductor, the Director of Casting and Artistic Planning, the Orchestra & Chorus Director, and the Chorus personnel management.
He/she is in charge of leading the chorus in their evolution and constant will to grow artistically, of guiding and managing the chorus members to respond to the highest artistic quality standards, to embody the openness, accessibility, and outreach missions of the Opera de Lyon.
The Chorus Master’s missions :
- Responsible for and dedicated to artistic quality, development, and growth,
- Team management with a dedicated sense of commitment to group cohesion, mindfulness, rigor, and good, professional behavior,
- Participation in chorus-related issues in the planning of current and upcoming productions, in compliance with programs requirements and in collaboration with the Principal Conductor, the Director of Casting and Artistic Planning, the Orchestra & Chorus Director and the Chorus Personnel Manager,
- Proactive, innovative, and keen on developing the chorus artistic repertoire such as “a cappella” programs, chamber music, new formats to ensure and pursue the artistic diversity and growth of the ensemble,
- Proactive, innovative, and keen on developing the chorus involvement within the outreach missions of the Opera de Lyon, such as professional mentoring, new audiences outreaching, and new “territories” opening,
- Supervising (chorus-) rehearsals and performances in collaboration with the different departments involved, to ensure the smooth running of a production (together with the conductor, stage director, stage managers, lyric and technical production teams, choreographer, costumes designers, etc.),
- Required to conduct the backstage / off stage chorus parts when applicable,
- Involvement in the casting of small solo roles from the chorus, in collaboration with the Director of Casting and Artistic Planning,
- Supervision of auditions for permanent chorus singers’ positions, by programming and auditioning on each step of the recruitment,
- Supervision, casting, and appointment for extra chorus artists positions in accordance to the overall productions’ needs (i.e. for the entire artistic season),
Skills and knowledges
- Extensive knowledge of the opera- and choral repertoire
- Excellent knowledge of vocal techniques and pedagogy
- Multilingual; French speaking would be a plus
- Extensive experience in managing and leading a chorus
- Outstanding communication skills, strong sense of human relationships and cohesion
- Very strong teamwork spirit
The position is based in Lyon, as part of the full time artistic team of the Opéra de Lyon, with dedicated touring projects in France, Europe and Worldwide.
Each candidate may, if he/she wills, share experiences, mission plan, strategy and/or approach, that could contribute to the artistic growth and progression of the Chorus (not mandatory).
Application deadline : Monday 21st June 2021.
Submit your application no later than June 21, 2021 using the form below:
Candidates will be pre-selected upon application. Auditions will be open to selected profiles